Friday 30 October 2015

Eyes

I peered into the full length black mirror that stood in the middle of my hallway, staring into my bright, ocean-blue eyes. Eyes that held youth and meaning and thoughts from inside. 
Eyes that held truth. 
They say the first things you notice about a person are their eyes. Most people take this as a literal element; one's eyes are blue or brown or green or grey. But if you look deeper inside them, you can see more than physical mechanisms. You can see emotions and honesty and significance. Everything that everyone is afraid to show. 
Looking into my own eyes, I see nothing but memories. Some memories I value, others I want to forget. Some are old and hazy and take a bit of pondering and exploring to remember correctly. Some are fresh and clearer than the sky outside. 
I grabbed my phone from the top of my dresser and moved to the pictures. In a split second memories from all over flooded my mind and clouded my eyes. 
Playing in the snow last winter. 
Taking that trip to Spain a few summers ago and falling into the pool. 
Going to that Halloween party a few years back and having the police show up because of noise complaints. 
Christmas morning. 
All of these memories are significant. If they weren't I wouldn't remember them as vividly as I do. They are the memories that will be forever cherished and thought of. They cannot be wiped from my mind. 
But they also cannot be relived. 
Most people know that memories are a thing of the past and while they are good to look back on and laugh about, some get too caught up in the lives they used to live. 
Living in the past can tear you apart, as nothing can ever be the same. No matter how many times it is repeated. 
I am pulled out of my reverie by my mother's voice drifting up the stairs. I am pulled back through time from my past to the present and find myself staring into the mirror at the same blue eyes and same blonde hair I've had since the day I popped into this earth. The same small frame and oval face. 
Some things never grow old. 

1 comment:

  1. Love this piece! Great imagery, well done! Can't wait to read the next one :)

    ReplyDelete